Orthodontics are not only for teenagers anymore, adults can benefit just as much from orthodontics (braces or clear aligners). The advancements in orthodontics over the years is absolutely astounding. General dentists are even able to take on some cases now. If you have ever wondered about the benefits of orthodontics, here are 5 reasons you may need orthodontics:
- To improve your overall oral health. Too much crowding or spacing in your teeth and create little harbors of plaque and bacteria which we already know can lead to decay, gum disease and bone loss. Straightening your teeth will help to eliminate some of these issues with regular brushing and flossing. Maintenance of your oral health and prevent costly and timely restorations in the future.
- To relieve discomfort stemming from poor alignment of your upper and or lower jaw. The human body is so intricately connected that even if your bite is off by mere millimeters your body will find a way to compensate in one way or another to feel normal.
- To tie directly into the poor alignment of your upper and lower jaw, you may notice that you have an overbite or an under bite.
- Reducing a "gummy" smile. Are you embarrassed about having a gummy smile? The only option available many years ago was to due crown restoration on each tooth, not anymore!!
- This brings us to cosmetic. Straightening your teeth can add confidence to your smile that you didn't even know you were missing.
Braces come in all shapes and sizes anymore. There are traditional or metal braces for more extensive treatments on adults. Metal braces are recommended for adolescents as well because clear aligners such as Invisalign® or ClearCorrect tend to require more discipline with use. Clear aligners allow you freedom to straighten your teeth virtually invisibly. There are also options like MTM® (Minimal Teeth Movements) or Fastbraces® that are much faster than traditional braces. Most offices in your area, dental or orthodontic will offer free consultations allowing you to meet with a doctor to go over all of your concerns and see what options best suite you.