What is Bottle Rot?
You might think that because a child’s teeth are temporary they aren’t important. However, these teeth are important for a child’s development and are still susceptible to tooth decay. When a child experience this tooth decay it is often called “Bottle Rot,” or Baby Bottle Tooth Decay. The importance of these baby teeth is that they allow the child to chew their food as they begin to be able to digest solids. These teeth also help speech and ensure that the adult teeth come in properly. For that reason, your Edmond Dentist wanted to touch on Bottle Rot, what causes it and how to prevent it.
What are the causes of tooth decay in infants?
The most at-risk teeth in a child’s mouth are their front upper teeth, however, that doesn’t me bottle rot will be limited to that area. The most common cause of tooth decay in infants is the prolonged exposure to sugary drinks. Most often this happens when a child is put to bed with a bottle, or when a bottle with a sugary drink is used instead of a pacifier. A baby can also receive cavity-causing bacteria from their parents when a spoon is passed from an adults mouth to their child that spoon containing bacteria that the child might not have. Receiving the right amount of fluoride is also important for your child’s teeth.
Edmond Dentist: How to Prevent Tooth Decay in Infants?
- Do you best not to share saliva with your baby. You can wipe your baby’s bums with a clean washcloth after feeding.
- Brush your child’s teeth with a gentle child-sized toothbrush using a small amount of fluoride toothpaste until the age of three.
- Make sure to supervise your child’s brushing to ensure that they spit, not swallow, toothpaste.
- Do not give your child sugary drinks like juice or soft drinks.
- Have your infant finish their bottle before going to bed.
- Do not dip your child’s pacifier in sugar or honey.
When your child has the first tooth appear, contact your Edmond Dentist for their first dental visit. Starting healthy oral habits early can save your child from cavities and can save you money.